I am asking for help and input in order to optimize this thing.
Produce some. Use them.
Let me know on usability and longevity or any break downs.
- OpenSCAD file for everyone to customize the desired clearance. (in work :-))
- Instructions how to do it at it's best.
Two aspects are maybe new:
1. customer convenience
It's not as easy as you might think to screw a chuck or something similar on a wall mounted bolt - although the thread fits :-)
The problem is to insert the external thread or to place it on the bolt.
The corrective is to provide a kind of attachment aid or a kind of lead in.
Therefore, the thread does not go to the end of the bolt. The bare (without thread) part of the bolt is the lead in. It's as easy as that, put it on the bolt and one turn around of the thread to the right - that's it.
Printing this thing needs to have enough clearance in the thread to ensure it will be free turnable and therfore usable.
So producing it has interaction with the print quality you might be able to achieve.
Therefore I designed it using OpenSCAD. Instead of the theoretical value of 33mm (reduced by clearance), someone might want to use 32,7 or even less to make it fit at the end.
I did produce several of these using normal PLA. Some had almost to less clearance and had to be reworked.
After a while two of them carrying the heaviest chucks I own did break. Some others seem to work fine for a respectable amount of time - even though printed with PLA.
So now I produced two more in ABS to replace the broken ones. I did reach much better print quality - among others by using some support structure in the thread area.